Council Approves Plans and Awards Contract for Phase Two of Runway Project

by Brian Wilson
0 comment

–The Algona City Council approved the plans and awarded a contract for Phase 2 of the airport runway project during their meeting this week. Deputy City Administrator Barb Smith spoke with KLGA News about the project, which has been ongoing for several years now.

The city will submit a grant application to the Federal Aviation Administration to cover the vast majority of the project’s costs.

Smith says they began working on Phase 2 of the project as soon as they completed Phase 1.

The council awarded a contract for the project to Voltmer, Inc. out of Decorah, Iowa. Voltmer had the low bid of just under $1.76 million, which is below the estimated cost of the project. The FAA grant would cover 90% of that cost, meaning the city would only have to pay the remaining 10%, or around $175,000.

You may also like